Thursday, 14 April 2011

Walking in Paul's Footsteps

One morning before doing the Lord's work, we took a tour to Ancient Corinth.  We walked where Paul preached, lived and worked among the Corinthians.  It was incredible to imagine him walking along the streets (which are rubble now) and see sights he may be seen while he was there.  And I couldn't wrap my heart around the fact that, I was standing where Paul preached about Christ.  Then I would be in awe that I was standing in Paul's' footsteps and he had been WITH Jesus.
I breathed the air, and I soaked in every minute.

The city of Corinth
IMG_0408

Our amazing tour guide, who is a Christian. 
She would tell us about a particular site, and then back it up with scripture. 
IMG_0418IMG_0417

Roman Columns
IMG_0446

IMG_0450IMG_0448

Our group, plus a group from Lexington! 
Isn't it amazing how God puts people together? 
IMG_0451

Amanda and I in front of ancient ruins
IMG_0458

Our tour took us off the beaten path.....there were no roads, just rumble and worn grass.  So, we had to be creative.  
Here is a sweet couple from California, he was helping his wife to make sure she didn't fall:)
IMG_0422

IMG_0462IMG_0456

The ruins are still breathtaking.  I can only imagine what they looked like 2,000 years ago!
IMG_0464

IMG_0472

Caroline and I
IMG_0481

"I'm here! Can't believe it!"
IMG_0477

This was sooooooo exciting for me! As a former science teacher, 
I got to witness Archeologist working to uncover sacred ruins.  
Loved this!
(yes, that does mean I'm officially a nerd! ha!)
IMG_0420

IMG_0416

And here are the mirrors used back in 1st century.  
Made of metal, not like the mirrors of today. 
IMG_0444
This struck a cord with me as our guide began to use scripture to show what Paul was talking about in relation to these mirrors used in Ancient Corinth.

"Now we see things imperfectly, like puzzling reflections in a mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity.  All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God now knows me completely."
1 Corinthians 13:12
NLT

Paul speaks and makes use of these mirrors to show the imperfection of our knowledge and view of God. Compared with what it will be in the future, it is like the imperfect view of an object when we look through a (ancient) mirror. The mirrors of the 1st century were made of polished metal, like you see above. It was very, very difficult to see your reflection clearly. 

The idea here is that we see ourselves and the Lord very dimly...
until that one glorious day..........

                            We will see everything clearly, including His face with perfect clarity.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

WOW!! Gives me goosebumps and a wish that I will someday get to mark this off my bucket list. Looks amazing...

Amy said...

VERY cool!!! I would love to have lunch one day and here all about your trip!!!

Amy

brandy said...

I have LOVED, LOVED reading about your trip! Such a blessing to watch how much your allowing God use & lead you. AND your pictures have been so beautiful and perfect! :)