She and Dr. Frye gave us a thumbs up, and we walked away with clean teeth and no cavities:) I was 24 years old before I had my first cavity, I really hope that Layton will follow my lead!
*************************************************************
Later that day, we volunteered at Hope House (even though Layton called it Hope's House), which is located downtown in our city. It is a volunteer facility that reaches out to the impoverished community, giving out clothes and food, but mostly important the gospel. We went to help with their backpack ministry where food is distributed to local schools and then given to children in need of food on the weekends. It breaks my heart to think of hungry children in my very own city.........so, the least we can do is to give back and help in a small, small way.We met several couples from church and we immediately saw that we had a long night ahead. The bins were empty. Over 1700 bags needed to be filled with milk, protein bars, nuts, mac & cheese, nutrigrain bars, crackers and cereal. It was a daunting task, but knowing the end result meant full bellies....so worth it.
My cousin, Olivia (hi, Olivia!) watched Luke, JJ and baby Luke....but Jessica and I really wanted Layton & Sydney to go and help. We want their eyes to open to the needs in our city and in our world. Physical needs and spiritual needs. I realize that a 4 year old can only comprehend so much - but its a start. *Since then he has already initiated giving up some of his food in the pantry to "kids in the world that don't have food!" - so maybe we did begin to plant a seed of sacrifice.*
Anslee, Sydney and Layton organizing the crackers
I had two very hard working boys:)
And the kids did an amazing job....they truly helped as we assembled the bags.
*With the exception of an occasional chase of the cat and a trip to the litter box that just about ended the night in a heart attack. Yet, all is well - we think!*
But in all seriousness, it was a LONG night with no dinner, yet we all kept working with no complaints. Some even came after working all day and standing all night.
However, in the 3rd hour, we were all getting a little looney! So, Gretchen and I splurged and gave the kids TWO Rice Krispy treats instead on just one! Such rebels!
The final result......
1700 backpacks will be stuffed with food bags for needy children all across the city.
Beautiful teeth and Full Backpacks:) It was a good day.
"For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, ‘You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor’
Deuteronomy 15:11













Blog lovingly designed by


4 comments:
What a wonderful post today! You are so inspiring to me today to stop complaining about what a heavy burden I feel I carry all the time and remember those that have things much much worse than I do. You have planted a seed of sacrifice in me too!
Lots of love to you today!
xoxox
Love that we got to serve together and with our kids. Look forward to doing this again friend.
Ok, so I don't think I have ever seen an action shot of me at work. LOL! Love that little patient. It will not be long that little lump of love will be in my chair. Can't wait. And isn't Hope House AWESOME!
WOW--that is awesome!! 1700 families you will be blessing!!
You have two adorable guys!! I am a former teacher, turned stay at home mom of three boys! Love your blog!!
I am your newest follower!
Post a Comment